Friday, February 5, 2016

(2016) The Cult - Hidden City



__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll be honest. I know very little about, "The Cult". Practically nothing... and that may be a shame. Well, today we may find out a little. I will be listening to their new album, "Hidden City" and letting you know what I think. If I like this one, I may have to go back into their catalog and check some more songs out. So let's get on with it!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 1 - Dark Energy

The intro sounds good enough. Ian Astbury's vocals are heavily aged however. But it's not bad. It definitely has a "something your dad would listen to" kinda vibe to it. I could see this song being played in a biker bar with a lot going on in the background. It's a little better than I expected. The music is pretty good coming from a bunch of old dudes!

3/5

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 2 - No Love Lost

This song is not sitting with me as well as the first... at least the beginning didn't that well. When the song kicks in full gear though, it's a little better. I really enjoy the chorus and the guitar solo. The rest of the song is a little too dull for me.

2.5/5

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 3 - Dance The Night

Once again, the guitarist is really the only thing making this song listenable. I guess I should go back and start listening to some of their older songs before making this statement, but if this is what they've always sounded like, then they are COMPLETELY overrated. No wonder i've never taken the time to listen to them.

2.5/5

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 4 - In Blood

The band is pretty good as a whole, minus Ian. It sounds as though he holds them all back. Perhaps that's why they never had any huge hits. But then again, i'm sure a few of you absolutely love them... and that to me is unfortunate. I had somewhat high hopes when I hit play on this one, being THE CULT and all. It's a name we've all at least heard, but like me, they fell to deaf ears. Mine are not impressed. The guitarist is the only thing that truly shines in this band.

2.5/5

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 5 - Birds Of Paradise

It's hard for me to figure out why bands like this get signed, where true gems like, "Fingersmith" remain unknowns... I guess it's luck of the draw. This is not a band that will be remembered hundreds of years from now and if they are... SHAME ON YOU FUTURE PEOPLE!!! This music isn't light on the ears at all. The Cult should have stopped awhile back, I feel this album will only hurt the bands legacy.

2.5/5

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 6 - Hinterland

So far, this album gets harder and harder to listen to as each new track begins. His lyrics linger off of his tongue and not in a good way. Perhaps youth is what makes bands exciting, because this bands time has definitely passed. If it wasn't for their guitarists solos, I would have probably already turned this one off.

2.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 7 - G O A T

I really hope they're not referring to themselves with this song title. However, here is one of those rare songs that are ok... well, at least until Ian starts singing. He literally ruins almost every track on this album and here we are, finally with a song that sounds decent, and then... here he comes in singing and ruining everything.

2.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 8 - Deeply Ordered Chaos

Well, I like the intro... let's see how long before this ones ruined. Ok! If the songs were more like this, i'd dig it. But unfortunately the rest of the album has been shit. I do like this one though. I feel like this might be the only good track on the album. Well... 2 out of 12 aren't bad... well, yeah it is. Hopefully the rest will be decent. HAHAHA. Probably not. This track is the best so far.

3.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 9 - Avalanche Of Light

Ok, here's another decent track. I guess I may have pulled the trigger on them a little early. But hey, those first songs deserved it! This one is pretty catchy and has a nice head shaking rhythm to it. I would bump this one. So lets say, 3 out of 12. Hey they made it to 25%!

3/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 10 - Lilies

This song could go either way. I like it! It's funny, it seems like the latter half of this album is actually decent. They should have cut 2 tracks and made it a 10 track album. That would have made it appear to be much better than what it is. But for a bunch of guys in their 60's or 70's, it's not too bad. This songs actually pretty good too!

3.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 11 - Heathens

These guys really did save their best songs for last! I can't help but wonder if some of these were recorded with a different producer. Half are ok and half just flat out SUCK. Not bad, not great, this song is just ok. At this point though, even a decent song sounds like a masterpiece.

3/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 12 - Sound And Fury

This song makes me laugh and I don't think that was the intention. Ian's voice sounds kinda funny and out of place on this track. The piano is beautiful and his voice sounds out of tune and almost like he's singing to a different track. You'll get it if you ever listen to it. Meh.

2.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Overall - 33.5/60

Overall, not my cup of tea. I'll have to check out some older stuff of theirs before I completely dismiss them. But my opinion. Completely overrated band. Willowbee out.

No comments:

Post a Comment