Thursday, February 18, 2016

(2016) Nevermen - Nevermen



__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Somehow this album seemed to slip right past me! I had heard one track off of it and was intrigued but then, yesterday I realized it had come out already! So a couple of weeks late but i'm really excited about this one. Whenever Mike Patton is attached to a project, it's usually at LEAST worth listening to once. So here we go!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 1 - Dark Ear

So this song starts with a TON of noise, but it's a good noise. After the song kicks in, it quickly becomes evident that this is going to be interesting. It appears as though all 3 musicians involved are simultaneously rapping with each other, which makes for something new and fresh. It's weird hearing these 3 musicians meld together, but it strangely turns out amazing. I really like this track alot. Favorited and repeating.

4/5

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 2 - Treat Em Right

The second track isn't nearly as exciting as the first. It still isn't bad, but it lacks the creativity that "Dark Ear" had. It gets a little repetitive at times and the chorus is so annoying, it becomes catchy. "Treat em like a prostitute." That line will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day. That I promise you.

2.5/5

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 3 - Wrong Animal Right Trap

So far I have mixed feelings about this album. I really liked the first track, the second track was just ok and this track just isn't doing it. So far there hasn't been enough "Signature Patton" for me to be really digging this as much as I thought I would.

2/5

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 4 - Tough Towns

This track almost comes off like an Andy Samberg SNL skit at first. I'm really starting to be disappointed in this album as a whole. It's too repetitive and not there's not enough Patton. This all seems so rushed and not very well thought out. The funny thing is, I think they've been working on this album for like 10 years. It definitely hasn't showed yet.

2/5

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 5 - Hate On

Now, this song is good. This is the track I heard a couple of months back that made me excited to hear this album in the first place. Hopefully from here on out it improves. This album has been a major disappointment so far. It is never a good sign when only 2 out of the first 5 songs are good. I definitely like this track though. Favorited.

4/5

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 6 - Mr. Mistake

I saw that this is the lead single on this wreck of an album. This song could go either way, but the more i'm listening, the more I do like this track too. Ok, at least we're making some progress now. 3 out of 6 isn't bad! I will say this... this album is ALL OVER THE PLACE. There is a lot going on on every single track so it is slightly unfair to listen once and dismiss it. This is the type of album that deserves a couple of listens to really get a grasp of what all is going on.

3.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 7 - Shellshot

I really like the intro and then it gets nuts again. If I had to describe this album with one word so far, that would be it... "nuts". It kind of sounds like a bunch of schizos got together and made an album. It has that kind of feel to it. You'll be listening to something getting cool and then all of a sudden you get yelled at. Very unpredictable. The break in this song is AMAZING. Favorited. Now we're getting there...

4/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 8 - At Your Service

With 3 tracks left, I honestly don't know what to expect next. This is one of those albums that could go either way. Luckily it has been getting better and better since track 4. There has been more Patton and that always make an album better. I really, really like this song too. Favorited. Part of it sounds like an Insane Clown Posse song though. Very dark carnival meets rap.

4/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 9 - Non Babylon

Ok, this shit is weird. It's like spoken word with three people filling in every other word. I have definitely heard some stuff on this album i've never heard before. For me, that's crazy. I've heard a LOT of music. We're talking about a guy who's favorite music includes Incubus, Dru Hill, Miles Davis, Tracy Lawrence, Beethoven & Nintendo Music. I've NEVER heard anything like this album. As always, Patton & associates deliver.

3.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 10 - Fame II The Wreckoning

The final track on this album will either qualify this as an average album or a great one. This track is so far, the lightest track on the album and not quite the track I was hoping to hear to round out this album. The latter half of this track makes it one worth hearing. Not bad, not bad at all.

3.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Overall - 33/50

Overall, this wasn't the album I was hoping to hear. But nevertheless, worth the listen. I could see it growing on me in the coming months. There are definitely a few gems on this one. Willowbee out.

No comments:

Post a Comment