Thursday, January 14, 2016

(2016) Walking With Giants - World's Unknown



__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've always heard of this band, but never have taken the time to check them out. Well, today is that day! I've been listening to this album for a week now and it really starts to grow on you. But let's just get into it, track by track!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 1 - World's Unknown (Part 1)

If this intro is any sign of what's to come, then holy shit! I am hooked! I'm always a sucker for pianos and their dreary guitar lingering in the background makes it all the more excellent. I expect big things from this album based on this intro.

4/5

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 2 - Broken Truth

I'll be honest. I expected this band to be a lot more darker based on that intro. I kinda feel like i'm at church watching a christian band. They're not bad at all, the singer just gives off that kind of "worshippy" vibe. That and the lack of darkness aside, it's actually pretty good. The band sounds tight and well rehearsed. I am digging them. This is definitely the best album i've heard this year so far.

3.5/5

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 3 - Back To Life

This band really reminds me of the band, "The Butterfly Effect". I really wish they were a tad bit heavier. I feel like if I blasted this in my car, I might be embarassed if someone pulled up next to me. I like them, but I don't love them. Their guitarist is pretty good. So far this is the weakest track.

2.5/5

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 4 - Bound

More of the same, this band likes to play it safe. I really expected a lot more from this album after that intro. Unfortunately, this is more like the band your best friends kid sister listens to. There's just still not enough to consider me a fan yet. Not bad, but not my cup of tea.

2.5/5

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 5 - Heavy Hand

I really, really like this song. This may be the best track on this album! A little heavier than the rest and it most DEFINITELY makes a difference. It's faster paced, more crunchy and just overall more enjoyable than the rest of this album has been. This song kicks ass. I wouldn't be embarassed at all listening to this one.

4/5

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 6 - Endless Road

This song is starting off pretty good, so maybe they can still redeem themselves. It really does seem like the heavier the guitarist is playing the better the singer sounds. I would LOVE to hear this band turn up that aspect tenfold. Still nothing groundbreaking though.

3.5/5

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 7 - The Now

I really want to like this band. But they just seem to slow for me. When I decided to review them, they were labeled "progressive rock" and so far, I still have yet to hear anything like that besides the intro. This is more like "easy listening, soft rock with a tinge of hard rock guitars". I want you to listen to this, but then again... maybe you should start with track 5 first.

2.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 8 - Guilty One

This vocalist sounds like Richard Marx leading a soft rock band. He almost sounds out of place. You can really tell the guitarist wants to play so much heavier. I really love their guitarist. His soloing is always on point and makes the songs so much better. This one is a little better.

3/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 9 - Different Voice

I give this band a C. I really kind of secretly like them but I want them to be heavier. I can hear faint tinges in this song of what they could do, but neglect to, either because it's not them or because they feel like they can't pull it off. This song is actually one of the better tracks on it. The band is EXCELLENT on this track! The singer isn't so bad either.

3.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 10 - Solid Ground

I am starting to like this band a little more. They're not going to be a favorite anytime soon. But with songs like this, they could grow on you pretty quick. It's not too bad though. Kinda soft, kinda hard, the perfect band for your brothers kid sister. Haha.

2.5/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Track 11 - Worlds Unknown (Part 2)

The outro is just a continuation of the excellent intro. I still wish they would have been heavier and darker. But nevertheless, not too bad in my opinion.

4/5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Overall - 35.5/55

So overall, if you are looking for something dark, progressive or heavy, this is not the band for you. However, if soft, Richard Marxish slightly distorted guitars are your thing, then this is right up your alley. For me. It's a car illegally parked in that alley. Not too bad, but not the album of the year. I actually just looked them up on google to find that there are members from Sevendust and Alter Bridge on this album. Kinda neat, had no clue about that. Still doesn't change the fact about your brothers kid sister loving them. Hey isn't Alter Bridge that same way? Haha. Once again, this has been fun. Willowbee out.

No comments:

Post a Comment