Friday, December 4, 2015

Jack Willowbee's Top 100 Albums Of All Time (31-40)

Well, with only 40 more albums left, now you will begin to see my absolute favorite albums ever! These are the ones I have listened to 100's of times... literally. I know the words to just about every song on every one of these albums from here on out. On a side note... today I heard that one of my favorite vocalists of all time, Mr. Scott Weiland, has passed away. It is a shame, but I can't say that I am shocked. R.I.P. Scott... for the life you lead, you need it.

____________________________________________________________________________

#40 - Incubus - A Crow Left Of The Murder (2004)


Incubus has been my favorite band since 2000, when the album "Make Yourself" came out. For the true fans out there you know that this was the first album with new bassist, "Ben Kenney" of "The Roots". This album came with the departure of one of the founding members of Incubus, "Dirk Lance". You can definitely hear the difference if you listen closely. To me, this was Incubus' last GREAT album. After that, they became just another shit band with a handful of good songs on each album. I feel that when Dirk left the band, Incubus lost their edge and became more or less, "hipster". It saddened me to see my favorite band, stray away from what made them my favorite band in the first place. Oh well, maybe he'll be back one day and they will actually put out a decent heavier album again. Till then, i'll still take a handful of songs. This album as a whole is pretty good, there are a couple of songs that previewed the shit that was to come, but there are some real gems on this album as well. Overall, I give it a 7/10.

SUGGESTED LISTENING (#6 - Sick Sad Little World)

____________________________________________________________________________

#39 - Bush - 16 Stone (1994)



Hmmmm... Another album from 1994. I really have to count out how many albums from 94 are on my list. I'm guessing at least 12 or more. Bushs' debut album was HUGE. Closing out the year being released at the beginning of December, they were instantly catapulted into fame. This album was loaded with hits! I will never forget the first time I heard "Machine Head" on the radio. There was just something about the intro to that song that captivated me. To be a kid in the 90's was GREAT, you really had to be there. Looking back, I wish I would have been even more receptive like I am now, cause i'm still finding albums I managed to miss. I did not however, miss this one!

SUGGESTED LISTENING (#7 - Machine Head)

____________________________________________________________________________

#38 - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californiacation (1999)



This was one of those albums that showed you just how good the "Chili Peppers" were. Here we were, 16 years into their career and they showed absolutely no signs of slowing down. This band is my era's "Rolling Stones". I have a good feeling, they'll still be touring another 16 years from now. 1999 was a great year. We were on the cusp of a new millennium and no one knew quite what to expect. It was albums like this that showed us where the future of rock music was going and the future looked bright. Despite all that's happened in the 16 years since it's release, I still have faith in rock music. You just have to know where to look.

SUGGESTED LISTENING (#2 - Parallel Universe)

____________________________________________________________________________

#37 - The Police - Synchronicity (1983)



You could not escape this band in the 80's. One of, if not perhaps the best band of the era, this was their last album before breaking up as a band. To go out while you're on top and walk away from such a successful band, baffles me. But I guess it was better that way than running into the "Incubus Effect". "Synchronicity" is one of those albums that EVERYONE has heard at least one song from. It was that powerful. They used it in movies, it still gets played on the radio non stop & you can hear it just about anywhere you go to shop. It had HUGE success and to this day, is still my favorite "Police" album.

SUGGESTED LISTENING - (#6 - Synchronicity II)

____________________________________________________________________________

#36 - Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle (1991)



This may be the weirdest album you've never heard of on my list. Once again, another band led by the great, Mike Patton. This was his first bands debut album. After shooting to success with "Faith No More", he found time to make this lesser known band, a little more known with his newfound fame. This album was just weird. It was like going to a carnival where you might die on one of the rides. This album had a HUGE impact on early Incubus & HoobUstank as well as countless other bands from California. Without Mr. Bungle, it would be hard to see if Incubus and other bands would have either existed. We owe a great deal to Mike Patton for help shaping the way we listen to rock music today, whether you realize it or not.



SUGGESTED LISTENING (#4 - Carousel)

____________________________________________________________________________

#35 - A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms (2001)



This album was a breath of fresh air for Tool fans in 2000. A lighter version of "Tool", this album was a much more subtle approach to the darkness that resides in Maynard. I can remember hearing "Judith" for the first time and thinking holy shit that's blasphemous. Now i'm not a man of the cloth... but if there is a hell, this dude is already on fire. HAha. I can remember my friend "Tim" being in love with this album and taking hour long drives through the country going to his house, baking out with triple blunts and blaring this album. That is probably my favorite memory of this album and these songs ALWAYS take me back.

SUGGESTED LISTENING - (#1 - The Hollow)

____________________________________________________________________________

#34 - Dredg - Catch Without Arms (2005)



Dredg is another band you might not have heard of. Hailing from California, they are what is called "art rock". It is kind of a mix between Prog and Alternative. When this album came out I had already been listening to them for about 4 years. So when this album came out, I was definitely excited. Dredg is one of those bands, with one of those singers that makes them completely unique from everything else that is out. If you have not heard them, I suggest you do. Start with the old stuff and work to this album. After this one they rapidly went downhill.

SUGGESTED LISTENING (#11 - Hungover On A Tuesday)

____________________________________________________________________________


#33 - Hoobastank - Hoobastank (2001)


Hoobastank was one of the first bands I knew about before they got HUGE. My friend Nate was on their street team in 2000 and told me about their independently released album, "They Sure Don't Make Basketball Shorts Like They Used To". My first impression from the title was a little weird. So I searched NAPSTER of all places and managed to grab a copy of it. Oh... My... GOD. I instantly loved this band and followed their every release. Towards the beginning of 2001 I managed to get my hands on a couple of demos that were being passed around in small circles. They were, "Crawling In The Dark, Up & Gone & Ready For You". I couldn't wait to hear the album! When it finally released, I found out my local rock station, 99.7 The Blitz. Sure enough, they introduced them as a "new" band". HAhahaha. Wrong.

SUGGESTED LISTENING (#4 - Pieces)

____________________________________________________________________________

#32 - Incubus - Morning View (2001)



This album was special. It was the last album by "Incubus". The cool thing about it was that they rented out a house and recorded it themselves. I can remember skipping school with my friend Matt and going and buying it on a cold ass day in November the day it came out. We drove around smoking joints and listening to it before going back to school, HIGH AS FUCK. It was fun and is a memory I will always remember not only because of that, but because of how GOOD this album was. This was one of the albums that made me want to start a band. This was one of the albums that made me want to get better at playOh, aning the guitar and it was ultimately THIS album, that made me learn how to sing... well, somewhat.

SUGGESTED LISTENING (#12 - Under My Umbrella)

____________________________________________________________________________

#31 - The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute (2005)

I've always had a knack for getting the albums I want, weeks early. This may have been where it all began. I can remember having a rough copy of this album, MONTHS before it came out. This was one of those albums that you had to turn all the lights off, smoke a blunt to and just relax. It will take you on an adventure if you just close your eyes and listen. Make sure no one will interrupt you cause you will want complete focus. Only consisting of 5 tracks, but lasting a little over an hour long, this album is truly special. It showcases all that is great about "The Mars Volta".
SUGGESTED LISTENING (#4 - Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore)

____________________________________________________________________________

3 more weeks left! If you've come with me this far, click like, click follow, click whatever you can! Oh, and TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!! We're coming to the end of my countdown with only 3 weeks left and I want to see at least 100 followers! I've noticed people from all over the world reading and I would love to know how you are coming across this page! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment